construction of light railways
The Westport line was extended to Achill Sound in the 1890s and this was one of the so-called 'Balfour Lines'. Arthur J. Balfour introduced an Act providing State assistance for the construction of light railways to disadvantaged areas in Ireland. The first station on this extension was Newport which opened in February 1894, followed by Mulranny, in August of the same year. The line to Achill was completed in May 1895.
the luxury Mulranny Hotel opened in 1897
Individual towns prospered with the arrival of the railways and Irish railway companies became involved in the hotel business. The luxury Mulranny Hotel opened in 1897 and a combined rail and hotel ticket was available from 1898 onwards. The hotel was equipped with every modern convenience of the time, including electric light, and by 1900 hot and cold water baths were also available. Patrons had access to sandy beaches and the use of the hotel's boats and golf links.
The last train ran in the autumn of 1937
The promoters of the line had high hopes for its future and it proved to be a great social and economic asset to West Mayo. However the track never consistently reached the levels originally anticipated and the development of roads in the 1930’s sealed the fate of the line. The last train ran in the autumn of 1937, a mere 42 years after the line had opened.